Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Daniel Johnson Dam and Manic 5 Hydroelectric Generating Station

Ok, I know many of you are wondering what the heck has happened to the blog and I do apologize.  Roger and I have had a nasty string of bad luck but I think I'll leave most of that for a later post.  Just know that opportunities to post have not been plentiful up to this time and bad news is not fun to post. 

What I would like to share is a little about the Daniel Johnson Dam and the Manicouagan 5 (or Manic 5 for short) hydroelectric generating station that Roger and I passed a few days ago. 


Located 214 km (130 miles) north of Baie-Comeau, Quebec Canada on route 389, its most remarkable feature is the Daniel Johnson Dam, the largest buttressed multiple arch dam in the world. 

Rising to a height  of 214 meters (703 feet) and extending 1.3 km (4,311 ft) long, the dam's construction consumed 2,900,000 cubic yards of concrete making it the largest of it's type in the world. 

Completed in 1968, it is capable of producing 2,656 Megawatts of power.  Let's see.........that's enough to run....well.........at least a dozen sets of those running lights on the front of our bikes.  :-)

To prevent seepage in the dam's foundation, a grout curtain was injected into the bedrock and a drainage network with 2,400 ft of tunnels was constructed just downstream of the dam to collect water that may seep through.  Roger must have worked in hydroelectric power production at some point in his life as I caught him in this next photo apparently "checking for a leak" at the base of one of the large buttress towers.  


If you look closely in the first picture above, you can see where the road winds up the hillside and right into a tight turn nearest the dam.  That's where these pictures are taken.  Its also where the pavement ends and the start of the gravel (and unfortunately, our troubles) began.




3 comments:

  1. Mack, Sorry to hear about troubles, Thanks for the texts. I'll be watching your progress, I called mama and let her know where you were. Now, I have concerns, so keep me posted as you can. Enjoyed the photos of the dam. I'm sure Roger will pay you back for the "looking for leaks " picture. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mack, Just checked in on you and your blog. Great pictures. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Since you are posting, I assume your troubles are mechanical and not physical. Stay well. Remember, its not really an adventure until you have challenges to overcome. I look forward to sharing the rest of your trip with you. Wish I was there with you. Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mack, you know the old saying about the best made plans, but I am glad to hear you and Roger are OK. I hope you were able to find another location to check the dam drainage, as that is am important task to remember. I am very impressed with your written verbiage, detail and professional presentation of your blog, keep up the good job and stay safe. I look forward to more photos and detail accounts of ya"ll adventure! Please, ride safe and God Bless. Chunn

    ReplyDelete